Reports To: Director of PASS Programs
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: The Parent Educator Case Specialist is responsible for supporting families towards the fulfillment of their child’s potential for intellectual, social, emotional, physiological growth and maturation by providing comprehensive family programs through in home and group parent education opportunities of the Providing a Sure Start Program (PASS). This position is full time (37.5 hours per week) with occasional weekend hours.
- Create and instruct lesson plans to families through individual and group instruction for young parents providing weekly parent education opportunities for at risk families of children pre-birth to age 3.
- Coordinate cultural or recreational activities for support group meetings that teach families how to enjoy healthy activities together
- Work as a member of the PASS team to recruit and publicize the program and encourage
- Maintain a 25 minimum family caseload.
- Act as a parent/child advocate, establishing rapport with families we serve.
- Assist the Lead Parent Educator Case Specialist in implementation of incentive programs, including maintaining weekly point records and supervising exchange of the incentives
- Attend weekly supervision with Lead Parent Educator Case Specialist and report updated progress to meet the needs of funding requirements.
- Participate in bi-weekly conference calls or meetings to report progress to Vice President
- Maintain accurate, complete and confidential records that reflect assessment, services and outcomes
- Complete all necessary data collection and submission of reports in timely manner as required by funders, and grant writing
- Collaborate with other community human service agencies and programs which align with the objectives of PASS.
- Assist families in accessing needed community and agency resources, facilitate referrals as necessary following the agency referral procedure.
- Participate in curriculum training and professional development.
- Frequently attend Prevent Child Abuse meetings and conferences for ongoing professional development
- Other Duties As Assigned
- Associate degree required
- Strong ability to communicate verbally and in writing and maintain case notes
- Experience working with at-risk children, adults, and families
- Knowledge of child development, adult learners, and community resources with an eagerness to learn
- Flexibility and creativity
- Background in community and program recruitment
- A team player with a pleasant personality, eagerness to work with both children and their parents or caregivers
- Sensitivity to the feelings and needs of adults with varied educational backgrounds and respect for families
- Strong ability to use a computer, word processing, spreadsheet, and digital camera technology
- Able to maintain confidentiality
- Must have a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation
- Able to work independently with limited supervision on periodic weekend home visits
- Pass a background check as well as be able to obtain mandatory reporter and Parents as Teacher certification.
- Under duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of Head Start Procedure Standards, Head Start’s Parent, Family and Community Engagement Framework.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills required.
- Data processing methods, information storage, Head Start Performance Standards, and information retrieval techniques required.
- Possess the ability to work in an office setting.
- Demonstrate the understanding of Visit Tracker reporting system, signs and symptoms of child abuse and neglect.
Able to perform the following physical requirements of the position with or without reasonable accommodation: critical sensory requirements include general vision; specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. Hear or listen in the normal range and speak and give directions clearly. Able to walk, sit, stand, kneel, crouch, crawl, reach, lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects up to 10 lbs., and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.